Do you think tens of thousands of years ago cave women used to turn to their cave partners and say, “Honey, I’m so sick of all the kids’ stuff. Can’t our cave be stylish and kid-friendly?”
Okay, maybe not. But Sarah and her husband — parents to a four-year-old and 6-month-old — are struggling with this question as they search for an area rug for their living room, the place where their kids play the most (see above). More specifically, they are trying to decide whether to get an area rug they love, knowing it will get yucky from baby-ness or find something they are less thrilled by but will hold up well. And then there’s the problem of color. Sarah explains,
“too light and it will look dirty, but not too dark since we have dark furniture. Or should we go with a crazy color? We’re not afraid of color by any means, but we don’t want a fun house theme.”
Here are Sarah’s choices:
1. The Lourdes-Sanchez Bulls-Eye 8 ft square rug in clay from West Elm.
2. The Sketched Squares Rug from West Elm:
3. All Square Flor Tiles in Purple (their kitchen is the green chartreuse color of the chairs):
4. Two of Hue Flor tiles in Fog:
5. A rug you think would work well.
So what do you think? Which rug works best in Sarah’s living room?
Are you overwhelmed by rug choices? Whatever the fashion or design dilemma, click on the button below to contact me and get help.